P2 Provisional Licence Requirements
If you hold a P2 provisional licence you must:
• display green P plates at the front and back of your car when driving (back only for motorcycles)
• drive with a zero BAC .
• always carry your licence when you are driving. If you are waiting to receive your licence in the mail, you must carry your Driver Licence Receipt.
If you are under 25 you must not drive high-powered vehicles
You may be eligible for an open licence if you are at least 20 and you have held your P1 or P2 licence for the required period:
• if you were under 23 when you got your P1 licence, you must hold your P2 licence for at least two years to progress to an open licence
• if you were 23 when you got your P1 licence, you must hold your P2 licence for at least one year to progress to an open licence
if you were 24 when you got your P1 licence, you must hold your P1 licence for at least one year to progress to an open licence
• if you were 25 or over when you passed your practical driving test, you would have been issued with a P2 licence which you must hold for at least one year. To graduate to an open licence you are not required to undertake the hazard perception test.
Conditions for Open Licence Holders
• You must remove any P plates once you get your open licence.
• It is recommended that you always carry your licence with you when driving. However, if you are driving a heavy vehicle you must always carry your licence when you are driving. If you are waiting to receive your heavy vehicle driver licence in the mail, you must carry your Driver Licence Receipt.
• You must drive with a BAC below 0.05 or 0.00 for interlock and heavy vehicle drivers.
If you accumulate 12 or more demerit points over a three year period you will have the choice between:
• a three month driving suspension.
• a good driving behaviour option for one year.